Tuesday, January 6
it's crazy late now (past 3:30) and i just wanted to let you know i've come home, where i'll be for a while now. i have some major goals for the next week and a half, which can serve as resolutions-of-sorts for the time being:
1. write some songs. it's time to get this band thing off the ground for serious. i've been playing my lovely new guitar a lot, and have revisited a lot of my old unfinished pieces, some of which could be well reworked. what i really need is to come up with some lyrics.
2. practice like whut! i've got a piano recital coming up very soon after i return to school (which will likely be my last for a while.) i played a bit today and was pretty satisfied with how little my brahms and schœnberg have slipped in this month or so that i haven't touched them. not sure where to go next
3. drive. you might have thought you'd never see the day, but i have honest to goodness scheduled a driving test for next friday. went out for a spin with warren z. today. just need to do some more of that and readjust to the subie and i should be in good shape.
4. read. cuz this is the last chance i'll get to do much of it until, oh, may, and then i can do as much as i want, right? i'm plowing through snow crash now (left sons & lovers back in the woods), with the barnum museum on the side burner. the everlasting story of nory, lost in the funhouse, possession, empire falls and a book about magellan are all in the queue, along with the gothic cathedrals book i bought today (to read before school starts.)
5. watch movies. i came up with a list of around thirty from 2003 that i want to catch up on. netflix should help with some of those; i'll also try to make it to the theatre a few more times (we saw 21 grams last night - pretty impressive; i guess i enjoyed it more than my parents did. could mr. penn be up for a double best-actor nomination?) (i also watched the man who knew too little last night, which was maybe even more enjoyable. funnier than i expected.)
6. compile a best-of-2003 mix cd. once i get my burner issues sorted out. of course i've been working this out in my head for at least a week now. jes' let me know if you want a copy. there'll also be a best albums list up here shortly.
should be more than enough to keep me busy, even if the rest of my friends skip town before i do. now i really shall hit the hay.
and we could travel just by folding the map