some birds are funny when they talk
corner



Fellows:

Aijung
Alyssa
Angela
Bobby
Carla
Dave
Ester
Jesse
Jonah
Josie
Kate
Lillie
Nori
Rabi
Rebecca

Mincetapes

e-mince

Photos!

Nice

Archives:

Stuck in my Head
"Kiss Me Harder" by Bertine Zetlitz
"Hot" by Avril
"Brain Problem Situation" by They Might Be Giants


Now Reading
Number 9 Dream by David Mitchell
Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage by Alice Munro

Recently Finished
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by David Eggers
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
Mad Tony and Me by Carl Hoffman
Sweet Soul Music by Peter Guaralnick
This Must Be The Place: Adventures of Talking Heads in the 20th Century by David Bowman
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Movies Lately
Sicko
4 Months 3 Weeks 2 Days
Oscar Nominated Animated Shorts
Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour
2 Days in Paris
United 93
The Savages
The Bourne Ultimatum
Sweeney Todd
The Departed
Juno
Enchanted
What Would Jesus Buy?
Ghost World
Superbad
I'm Not There
She's The Man
Superbad
Lars and the Real Girl
Romance and Cigarettes
No Country for Old Men
Into the Wild
Gattaca
I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With
Across the Universe

Shows Lately
Damo Suzuki/Stinking Lizaveta @ Mill Creek
Death and the Maiden @ Curio
Devon Sproule/Carsie Blanton/Devin Greenwood/John Francis @ Tin Angel
Assassins @ The Arden
Oakley Hall and the Teeth @ Johnny Brendas
Isabella and Flamingo/Winnebago and Map Me and Gatz and Songs of the Dragons Flying to Heaven and Sonic Dances and Strawberry Farm and The Emperor Jones and No Dice and Hearts of Man and Principles of Uncertainty and Isabella and BATCH and Addicted to Bad Ideas: Peter Lorre's 20th Century and Car and Sports Trilogy and Explanatorium and Wandering Alice and Must Don't Whip Um and Festival of Lies and A Room of Ones Own and Recitatif @ the Philadelphia Live Arts Festival/Philly Fringe
Martha Graham Cracker and Eliot Levin and Kilo etc. @ the Fringe Cabaret
Lullatone and Teletextile @ Boulder Coffee [Rochester]
TV Sound @ the M Room
Aretha Franklin @ East Dell, Fairmount Pk.
Romeo + Juliet in Clark Park
Daft Punk @ Red Rocks
Spoon @ Rockefeller Park
Ponytail at Pony Pants' House
Mirah/Benjy Ferree @ the 1UC
Tortoise @ World Cafe Live
Hall & Oates...ish
"Nuclear Dreams" - Mascher Dance Group, x2
The Four of Us @ 1812
Machines Machines Machines Machines Machines Machines Machines by Rainpan whatever
Mascher Dance Group/Nathaniel Bartlett
Cornelius @ TLA
Sloan @ World Cafe
In Fluxxxx
Slavic Soul Party!/Red Heart the Ticker @ I-House
the Fantasticks @ Mum
Peter Bjork + Jorn/Fujiya + Miyagi @ fkaTLA
John Vanderslice @ Johnny Brendas
The Books & Todd Reynolds @ 1UC
Into the Woods @ LPAC
The Fishbowl @ the Frear
Caroline, or, Change @ the Arden
Low & Loney, Dear. @ 1UC




Friday, September 21

I stood up and left in the middle of my syntax class this morning. I was stopped before I reached the door by the professor, who wanted to give me some handouts and return a homework and say that I could talk to her in her office if I wanted. It could have been embarrasing, or should have perhaps, but I didn't mind so much. I went and stood next to a video camera in front of Parrish porch and tied a white ribbon around Dan Consiglio's arm. The sun appropriately ducked behind cloud cover, casting a sombre atmosphere on the proceedings, which then progressed to threatening drizzle and then full-out droplets. One of the speakers alluded to the crowd standing in the rain as an example of enduring hardship for the sake of conviction. I wrote a long post about what was said and my reactions to it, but it got erased. Durn computer. In general, I thought that the speakers were well-spoken and expressed a considerable range of approaches to the question of how to respond to and understand the situation (the unfortunateness, as someone referred to it). There was to some extent a lack of focus and avoidance of concrete discussion which I found frustrating, beginning with the three scheduled professorial speeches, which set the tone for the gathering. Thompson Bradley, ex-Russian prof, gave an impassioned critique of the language used by the media, and then launched into what he introduced as "what we can do right now" to respond constructively to the attacks, which turned out to be using this as an opportunity to reconfigure the way nations interact militarily and economically, and the way our so-called "democracy" functions. Of course, nobody mentioned that even if we did have a democracy more based on the input of the populace, our deliberate response would be no less angered and violent. Nobody really attempted to deal with the sentiments that are held by the majority of Americans outside of this campus until late in the rally, when Will Ortman stood up with a flag in his pocket to defend America's honor in the face of condemnations of imperialism and globalization that had been flying all afternoon. After that campus arch-conservative Dave Thomas expressed some even more unpopular opinions, and was mocked and booed. I was somewhat disheartened by this, not that it came as a surprise, but I would have expected more respect for differing points of view, especially since these were not all radical by any means. Some of the more poignant statements made earlier were those of community members, including a '74 graduate who exhorted us to realize the impact that college students have had and can have on situations like this, and a woman, awed and heartened by the presence of so many "beautiful people," who encouraged us to go into high schools and middle schools to engage kids in Socratic dialogue about the attacks. One student recounted a personal experience with anti-American sentiment in the West Bank, and another gave a well-intentioned but fumbling, rambling argument that we take the opportunity to ameliorate the effects of brutal Taliban oppresion.

Rain and Republicans brought the rally to a fractured close, and Ben and Ester and I went off to do practical things. Ben disappeared before I found out that we can't have hello and okay in the fragrance garden, which, incidentally, really sucks. I don't know where to have it now. Wharton Courtyard, Worth Courtyard, Kohlberg Courtyard, Magill Walk, all have their sticking points. Ester and I visited Jenny Yim and her pooch, and I was asked to DJ a fundraiser for a triple-degree-burned quadrepeligic (to make a long story longer), and then I invented a turkey wrap at Essie Maes, garnished with Asian-salad dressing. I came back here (oh, I'm writing from the Barn! We have DSL at the Barn! I can send e-mail and surf the intranet from the Barn!) and talked to Joel for a while and talked to Ester for a while and played rock and roll music with Rubes and Blechs. Matt is so excited about this! So am I, don't get me wrong. He has a new guitar song that completely rocks, on which I want to play a distorted flute. We also worked on a fragment from last week that grew from arpegiatted picking to vibraphone third patterns to funk bass to bliss, and a little on our eponymous groove, from "this is your captain speaking." This is going to be damn good. It's the next step.

After a while I went to a poetry slam at Paces. Talking to Stephanie later, who calls herself "an elitist; I never go to slams, only to readings," I realized that I am an elitist; I never go to poetry readings. Last time I went to a slam I ended up with a girlfriend, but I didn't quite succumb to the temptation to read. This time I read, abetted by a "Japanese poetry slam" format wherein we were given two lines from which to create six-line poems. I only wrote with one of the lines: "I refuse to tell you," and I changed its tense and wrote only four lines. People came up with some good stuff, including a lovely bit by Jedd about watermelons, and Ben's "I refuse to tell you that a sin dancing with a shrew is ant/agonistic. My affliction: heterosexuality." Mine was as follows:
I refused to tell you what I thought when
we saw "A Moon for the Misbegotten."
You asked my opinion on the plot and
characterization. I'd forgetten.
I neglected to preface it with "What sense it has is informed by the rhyme" or "It's about O'Neill" or "I've never actually seen it" or anything except "I wrote the other one," and despite an effort to articulate it came out rather quickly, and consequently it didn't get quite the response I had hoped, although a bunch of people laughed. I think most people didn't understand it. Many people read interesting things (Allen Friedman's Spam e-mail poem, Alex Edelson's trio of articulate pieces touching on vampirism and love) and many people read things about the unfortunateness. The culmination was a "performance art piece" by freshman lunatic Johnathon Schneider. Untitled "A Message from our Sponsors," it was an advertisement for a gas powered toothbrushed which ended up with him on the floor in spasms.

Rather than going home I went visiting. First Annie, who was writing about Van Der Weyden, and told me that her roommate had videos of the robot from the Apples concert. Then Lodge One, where I hung out for an hour or so as we discussed, chiefly, clothing and nudity. Those gals are so endearing. They do the lodge thing well. As I was leaving I ran into Matt and his companion Elena Cuffari, and so I went with them to Rob's room. We listened to B&S and had a nice chat, Rubin looking spiffy in my corduroy jacket. I hadn't really met Elena before this; I like her. She's what you would expect of Matt, in a funny way. She wants to be a ling major (she's in my syntax class. So is Jeff Wu, as it turns out.) Back here Alana was visiting, but because Joel was writing about 1001 Crucifixions, she was talking to the others of us (although she was wearing his shirt.) She and I agree a lot about love. Kollontai and all that.