some birds are funny when they talk
corner



Fellows:

Aijung
Alyssa
Angela
Bobby
Carla
Dave
Ester
Jesse
Jonah
Josie
Kate
Lillie
Nori
Rabi
Rebecca

Mincetapes

e-mince

Photos!

Nice

Archives:

Stuck in my Head
"Kiss Me Harder" by Bertine Zetlitz
"Hot" by Avril
"Brain Problem Situation" by They Might Be Giants


Now Reading
Number 9 Dream by David Mitchell
Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage by Alice Munro

Recently Finished
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by David Eggers
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
Mad Tony and Me by Carl Hoffman
Sweet Soul Music by Peter Guaralnick
This Must Be The Place: Adventures of Talking Heads in the 20th Century by David Bowman
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Movies Lately
Sicko
4 Months 3 Weeks 2 Days
Oscar Nominated Animated Shorts
Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour
2 Days in Paris
United 93
The Savages
The Bourne Ultimatum
Sweeney Todd
The Departed
Juno
Enchanted
What Would Jesus Buy?
Ghost World
Superbad
I'm Not There
She's The Man
Superbad
Lars and the Real Girl
Romance and Cigarettes
No Country for Old Men
Into the Wild
Gattaca
I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With
Across the Universe

Shows Lately
Damo Suzuki/Stinking Lizaveta @ Mill Creek
Death and the Maiden @ Curio
Devon Sproule/Carsie Blanton/Devin Greenwood/John Francis @ Tin Angel
Assassins @ The Arden
Oakley Hall and the Teeth @ Johnny Brendas
Isabella and Flamingo/Winnebago and Map Me and Gatz and Songs of the Dragons Flying to Heaven and Sonic Dances and Strawberry Farm and The Emperor Jones and No Dice and Hearts of Man and Principles of Uncertainty and Isabella and BATCH and Addicted to Bad Ideas: Peter Lorre's 20th Century and Car and Sports Trilogy and Explanatorium and Wandering Alice and Must Don't Whip Um and Festival of Lies and A Room of Ones Own and Recitatif @ the Philadelphia Live Arts Festival/Philly Fringe
Martha Graham Cracker and Eliot Levin and Kilo etc. @ the Fringe Cabaret
Lullatone and Teletextile @ Boulder Coffee [Rochester]
TV Sound @ the M Room
Aretha Franklin @ East Dell, Fairmount Pk.
Romeo + Juliet in Clark Park
Daft Punk @ Red Rocks
Spoon @ Rockefeller Park
Ponytail at Pony Pants' House
Mirah/Benjy Ferree @ the 1UC
Tortoise @ World Cafe Live
Hall & Oates...ish
"Nuclear Dreams" - Mascher Dance Group, x2
The Four of Us @ 1812
Machines Machines Machines Machines Machines Machines Machines by Rainpan whatever
Mascher Dance Group/Nathaniel Bartlett
Cornelius @ TLA
Sloan @ World Cafe
In Fluxxxx
Slavic Soul Party!/Red Heart the Ticker @ I-House
the Fantasticks @ Mum
Peter Bjork + Jorn/Fujiya + Miyagi @ fkaTLA
John Vanderslice @ Johnny Brendas
The Books & Todd Reynolds @ 1UC
Into the Woods @ LPAC
The Fishbowl @ the Frear
Caroline, or, Change @ the Arden
Low & Loney, Dear. @ 1UC




Tuesday, September 11

It starts. I visited the White House in my dream last night, and took repast at a nearby tourist cafe where our hapless waiter was none other than George W. Bush. He was unable to get my order correct (admittedly it was a confusing one: some sort of mushroom flatbread or pizza which inexplicably came with a sandwich; I wanted a reuben, but without mushrooms and with turkey), and I took it out on him rather meanly. I felt bad though, to be so abusive of George.

When I woke up I had "Know Your Onion!" pulsing through my synapses, so I fumbled to slip in "Oh, Inverted World!" and advance to track four, before I put on my glasses. Before the track finished though, Rebecca came in and commanded me to turn the tuner to NPR, where I was greeted once again by the Porky Pig-esque speech patterns of Mr. Bush, whose only coherent sentence this time was "Terrorist attacks against our country will not stand." As if it were a summer sci-fi blockbuster or an April fools joke, the newscasters had announced only minutes before that two planes had crashed into the twin towers of the world trade center. As we listened, transfixed, and squabbled over uneaten banana halves, reports came in of a fire in the White House and a bombing of the Pentagon (as a correspondent in the Pentagon bantered on: "Well, I didn't notice anything when I came in a few minutes ago, but now I think, yes, there is a public address announcement being made, and we are I think being asked, yes, to evacuate the building...") The news passed without remark through a quiz and a lesson on les adjectifs, but by the time of 11:20 syntax a murmur passed through the room before the start of class, and the introductory discussion of generative grammar included the several syntactically ambiguous ways to diagram the sentence: "The students told the teacher about the crash in NY." On the way from Kohlberg to McCabe (by this time the story had evolved into a Travolta-thriller worthy saga of seven hijacked 747s, several of which have yet to reach their targets) I passed through a thronged Parrish parlors where a TV set flashed live images of destruction, and a crowd outside the McCabe doors frantically muttering about the NSA. As many of my e-mails touched on the news as constituted responses to this weeks Moby-Dick reading.

It's endearing how this campus responds to events of national import such as those of today, or the post-election shenanigans of last year. There is a sense of intense concern and valiant effort to remain abreast of affairs and determinedly sympathize with the victims, and yet these issues don't affect the school itself in any concrete way. The bubble remains unbroken, even when the outside world makes enough noise to have us pressed up against the glass peering out in semblance of solidarity. Because everyone else is on edge to hear the latest breaking news, I don't have to; I know it will come out in distilled form in a matter of hours or days, and I can synthesize it more harmoniously. Besides, I was one of the first to hear the news, thanks to Rebecca's alarm-radio. For all you readers out there, I'll keep you posted. Or you could just visit CNN or something.

lucked out, found my favorite records lying in wait at the Birmingham mall.
the songs that I heard, the occasional book were the only fun I ever took.