some birds are funny when they talk
corner



Fellows:

Aijung
Alyssa
Angela
Bobby
Carla
Dave
Ester
Jesse
Jonah
Josie
Kate
Lillie
Nori
Rabi
Rebecca

Mincetapes

e-mince

Photos!

Nice

Archives:

Stuck in my Head
"Kiss Me Harder" by Bertine Zetlitz
"Hot" by Avril
"Brain Problem Situation" by They Might Be Giants


Now Reading
Number 9 Dream by David Mitchell
Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage by Alice Munro

Recently Finished
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by David Eggers
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
Mad Tony and Me by Carl Hoffman
Sweet Soul Music by Peter Guaralnick
This Must Be The Place: Adventures of Talking Heads in the 20th Century by David Bowman
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Movies Lately
Sicko
4 Months 3 Weeks 2 Days
Oscar Nominated Animated Shorts
Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour
2 Days in Paris
United 93
The Savages
The Bourne Ultimatum
Sweeney Todd
The Departed
Juno
Enchanted
What Would Jesus Buy?
Ghost World
Superbad
I'm Not There
She's The Man
Superbad
Lars and the Real Girl
Romance and Cigarettes
No Country for Old Men
Into the Wild
Gattaca
I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With
Across the Universe

Shows Lately
Damo Suzuki/Stinking Lizaveta @ Mill Creek
Death and the Maiden @ Curio
Devon Sproule/Carsie Blanton/Devin Greenwood/John Francis @ Tin Angel
Assassins @ The Arden
Oakley Hall and the Teeth @ Johnny Brendas
Isabella and Flamingo/Winnebago and Map Me and Gatz and Songs of the Dragons Flying to Heaven and Sonic Dances and Strawberry Farm and The Emperor Jones and No Dice and Hearts of Man and Principles of Uncertainty and Isabella and BATCH and Addicted to Bad Ideas: Peter Lorre's 20th Century and Car and Sports Trilogy and Explanatorium and Wandering Alice and Must Don't Whip Um and Festival of Lies and A Room of Ones Own and Recitatif @ the Philadelphia Live Arts Festival/Philly Fringe
Martha Graham Cracker and Eliot Levin and Kilo etc. @ the Fringe Cabaret
Lullatone and Teletextile @ Boulder Coffee [Rochester]
TV Sound @ the M Room
Aretha Franklin @ East Dell, Fairmount Pk.
Romeo + Juliet in Clark Park
Daft Punk @ Red Rocks
Spoon @ Rockefeller Park
Ponytail at Pony Pants' House
Mirah/Benjy Ferree @ the 1UC
Tortoise @ World Cafe Live
Hall & Oates...ish
"Nuclear Dreams" - Mascher Dance Group, x2
The Four of Us @ 1812
Machines Machines Machines Machines Machines Machines Machines by Rainpan whatever
Mascher Dance Group/Nathaniel Bartlett
Cornelius @ TLA
Sloan @ World Cafe
In Fluxxxx
Slavic Soul Party!/Red Heart the Ticker @ I-House
the Fantasticks @ Mum
Peter Bjork + Jorn/Fujiya + Miyagi @ fkaTLA
John Vanderslice @ Johnny Brendas
The Books & Todd Reynolds @ 1UC
Into the Woods @ LPAC
The Fishbowl @ the Frear
Caroline, or, Change @ the Arden
Low & Loney, Dear. @ 1UC




Friday, February 15

I had this funny pressure in my jaw which ebbed and swelled over the last few days, somewhat similar but probably unrelated to the pressure and aches that had plagued my nostrils and sinuses for the few days before that; the residue of my sickness. It varied from barely noticeable to more than mildly annoying. It started after I had eaten a bowl of this familia granola with really tough raisins. They were quite hard to chew and I felt for a long while after that the exhaustion of having chewed really hard. It started up again with a bagel a few days later. Alyssa asked about wisdom teeth, which I had been secretly wondering about but afraid to admit.

So, I accomplished only a small amount of the reading Thursday afternoon, just the rest of the Nuer, but nevertheless I decided to go off to Sharples with Ben and Alyssa, even though I was theoretically still supposed to meet with Roxanne in a few hours. I'm glad I went though, Sharples was quite the spectacle; total zoo, such as I haven't seen since screw last year. Of course the staff went all out, with tons of petits-fours, eclairs, strawberries, dessert fondue, little round tables in the center room and live flute/guitar muzak. Then there was the SVD massacree reenactment (which went down twice?) and the SAO auction. The auctioneer wasn't very good (or well-amplified) which was probably the reason that prices were so much lower this year. The highest was $75 for all of sixteen feet, whose performance-by-way-of-enticement was also difficult to hear over the tumult. Jocelyn, obscenely adorable with a little heart shirt, flower in hair, and holding Prof. Ghannam's cherubic little baby (whose cheeks were as pink as anything in the room), went for $40 to Matt Rubin. I might have bid on her if I'd had any money on me, but I kept my hands free of the whole affair and just enjoyed the show (unlike last year when I made a couple of timid, clandestine bids.) Michelle was there and delivered my two poems, poorly typed out on crisp red paper. Alex Edleson said he'd had a hand in part of each.

Came home and delivered Joel's (excellently rhymed - Blecherino and Cappucino - but not really metrical at all) and dashed right back off, to McCabe, late for Roxanne. It went fine anyway; she had done more of the reading than I did, but I ended up coming up with most of the questions and the structure for the discussion. She seems to have a decent handle on the stuff, so that should combine nicely with my bunch of pointed uncertainties. She typed it up, a bit simply, adding a vegan query (guess nobody is?) and sent it off. Back here, soon joined by Alyssa, with whom we selected titles for the Reality is Lubricated Special Valentine's Day Broadcast.

It was terrific (I thought); and we have a perfect all-encompassing love mixtape to show for it now, even with great cover art (a small size version of the poster.) It is to some extent a cobbling together of other love tapes I've made in the past, but with lots of good new additions, plus Alyssa's input. Only a few callers - Joel commending a transition, Branen praising the Moldy Peaches but unable to accept the tickets - but we had a full-on visit in the studio: from crazy-daisy Liz and her gruff Audio-Rescue-Squad gennelmun-friend (who didn't seem too happy to be there.) She offered me cookies from a tray downstairs, and he poked through the records library. We read the SCW ode to SRN on the air. Lots of good banter too; plus a couple fun mistakes. Anyway, here's what we played, as copied from our script-fonted playlist:

Oooweeoooh! Oooh! Oooh!
“Grandpa” Myron (Mike) “The Moose” Cantor - As Time Goes By

Blur - Tender
XTC - I’d Like That
Björk - Like Someone in Love
[flubbed announcement - mic set on cue] [radio silence]
Paul Simon - For Emily, Wherever I Will Find Her
[apology to the listenerhip, repeat of set rundown]

The Old 97’s - Question
The Beach Boys - God Only Knows
The Kinks - Everybody’s Gonna Be Happy

The Fairways - Close to Me
The Pixies - La La Love You

The Sam Cooke - Medley: Try a Little Tenderness/(I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons/You Send Me (live)
Prince - Kiss
[clarification from Alyssa about it being a song about sex]
Randy Newman - Falling in Love
[A n ODE to WSRN]
Joni Mitchell - A Case of You
Plastic Fantastic Machine - Love is Psychedelic
Jeff Magnum - I Love How You Love Me

Joe Jackson - Be My Number Two
R.E.M. - At My Most Beautiful
Pain - One-Legged Girl
[a little show here for people from Alyssa]
Kings Of Convenience - I Don’t Know What I Can Save You From
Pizzicato Five - Baby Love Child

The Moldy Peaches - Anyone Else But You
[apology to all the non-{Moldy Peaches Fans} in the audience]
The Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)
Joe Henry - Scar
The Shins - New Slang (When You Notice the Stripes)

Buddy Holly - True Love Ways
The Yo La Tengo - The You Can Have it All
Jonathan Richman - When She Kisses Me
Ella Fitzgerald - Something’s Gotta Give
Chet Baker - My Funny Valentine
The Big Star - I’m In Love With A Girl
[Alyssa's declaration of love]

Nat King Cole - The Very Thought of You
Billy Bragg - Valentine’s Day is Over

Afterwards, we had a lovely little chat with Brigid-san, over an absolutely ridiculous Swarthmore College valentine/donation solicitating card. Checked mail again, to find the card from Becca, figuring the windows of her heart. And my first conversation (I think) with Jackie A., in parlors.

Well I don't believe in love
Until I'm in love.