some birds are funny when they talk
corner



Fellows:

Aijung
Alyssa
Angela
Bobby
Carla
Dave
Ester
Jesse
Jonah
Josie
Kate
Lillie
Nori
Rabi
Rebecca

Mincetapes

e-mince

Photos!

Nice

Archives:

Stuck in my Head
"Kiss Me Harder" by Bertine Zetlitz
"Hot" by Avril
"Brain Problem Situation" by They Might Be Giants


Now Reading
Number 9 Dream by David Mitchell
Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage by Alice Munro

Recently Finished
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by David Eggers
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
Mad Tony and Me by Carl Hoffman
Sweet Soul Music by Peter Guaralnick
This Must Be The Place: Adventures of Talking Heads in the 20th Century by David Bowman
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Movies Lately
Sicko
4 Months 3 Weeks 2 Days
Oscar Nominated Animated Shorts
Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour
2 Days in Paris
United 93
The Savages
The Bourne Ultimatum
Sweeney Todd
The Departed
Juno
Enchanted
What Would Jesus Buy?
Ghost World
Superbad
I'm Not There
She's The Man
Superbad
Lars and the Real Girl
Romance and Cigarettes
No Country for Old Men
Into the Wild
Gattaca
I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With
Across the Universe

Shows Lately
Damo Suzuki/Stinking Lizaveta @ Mill Creek
Death and the Maiden @ Curio
Devon Sproule/Carsie Blanton/Devin Greenwood/John Francis @ Tin Angel
Assassins @ The Arden
Oakley Hall and the Teeth @ Johnny Brendas
Isabella and Flamingo/Winnebago and Map Me and Gatz and Songs of the Dragons Flying to Heaven and Sonic Dances and Strawberry Farm and The Emperor Jones and No Dice and Hearts of Man and Principles of Uncertainty and Isabella and BATCH and Addicted to Bad Ideas: Peter Lorre's 20th Century and Car and Sports Trilogy and Explanatorium and Wandering Alice and Must Don't Whip Um and Festival of Lies and A Room of Ones Own and Recitatif @ the Philadelphia Live Arts Festival/Philly Fringe
Martha Graham Cracker and Eliot Levin and Kilo etc. @ the Fringe Cabaret
Lullatone and Teletextile @ Boulder Coffee [Rochester]
TV Sound @ the M Room
Aretha Franklin @ East Dell, Fairmount Pk.
Romeo + Juliet in Clark Park
Daft Punk @ Red Rocks
Spoon @ Rockefeller Park
Ponytail at Pony Pants' House
Mirah/Benjy Ferree @ the 1UC
Tortoise @ World Cafe Live
Hall & Oates...ish
"Nuclear Dreams" - Mascher Dance Group, x2
The Four of Us @ 1812
Machines Machines Machines Machines Machines Machines Machines by Rainpan whatever
Mascher Dance Group/Nathaniel Bartlett
Cornelius @ TLA
Sloan @ World Cafe
In Fluxxxx
Slavic Soul Party!/Red Heart the Ticker @ I-House
the Fantasticks @ Mum
Peter Bjork + Jorn/Fujiya + Miyagi @ fkaTLA
John Vanderslice @ Johnny Brendas
The Books & Todd Reynolds @ 1UC
Into the Woods @ LPAC
The Fishbowl @ the Frear
Caroline, or, Change @ the Arden
Low & Loney, Dear. @ 1UC




Sunday, May 12

Saturday I woke up at eleven-thirty and dawdled around the house, basking in lack of obligations, suffering from lack of energy. I walked to campus a bit before three to make flyers for my costellothon, but all the McCabe computers were taken, and Beardsley was locked due to a mishap, so I sat in Kohlberg reading Spike for a while. Then I went back to Beardsley and spent about an hour making a bunch of flyers; some with all of the album covers and the words "Elvis is King," some with all the album titles and dates and a footer of information, and two series of unique flyers - "fifteen hours of…[his various silly aliases]" and choice lyric quotes, all with the footer. They came out well. I was home again briefly, and then set out to put the flyers up and watch, no, check out, no, take part in, er, well, experience The Tall Green Man.

The story on this one: Morgan sent out an e-mail encouraging folks to come to the Rose Garden at five for the world premiere performance of The Tall Green Man featuring Jedd Cohen with anyone who shows up in supporting roles, and to bring props, costumes, and instruments. When I showed up, admittedly ten minutes late, with my wooden flute from Danny, and my colorful hippie frisbee hat (must have had it for about ten years, and it's still too big for me), and my posters for subsequent postering, I saw Morgan, but few others. Penny and Jeter (eh?) showed up, and Morgan left somewhat inexplicably. No Jedd. Sam and Lillie (sam and lillie!) wandered over to say hello, and after Maria and Louisa arrived, determined to perform, they got involved. M and L went to McCabe to take out two bibles (a Tanakh and a new testament), and stood on benches in the rose garden, selecting verses to read (alternately - they never read at the same time, which might have been nice). I started playing my flute, low long notes at first, then flutterier melodies, while S and L began to move - rolling around in the grass mostly, and spinning and walking. After a while I offered my flute to them; Sam took it and Lillie and I danced, not really playing off each other though. I gathered some rose petals and dropped them into her hair. At some point Liza showed up and moved around a little too. It was, okay. Would have been better with Jedd.

As I walked out of the garden a cluster of cars revealed one to be Mark's, containing him, Alyssa, and Laurel. They commanded me to get in and drove me off to a Hibachi restaurant in a strip mall, where we met John Stancato, Adrienne, Nadav, and Kiran Rikhye (spelled somehow) for basement sushi buffet. Not bad. All we could eat sushi, tempura, salad, noodles, seaweed salad, springrolls, banana cake, and so on, for maybe a bit more than necessary ($20). Interesting talk - lots of stories about parents (how they met, how they parent, their personal lives) and other people, summer theatre project seems like it will create plenty of drama (unintentional as well.) I didn't talk much, but I enjoyed myself. I requested Big Loada on the way home, and Mark obliged for some roof shaking good times. I came with him to Dana and then he came over briefly before we decided to go out again, to the vertigo-go show.

The show was in Palmer lounge, and, especially as we were a little bit late, it was predictably overcrowded. We managed to squeeze in the back way, me wedged next to a keg that nobody tapped while I was there, but someone must have earlier. The whole group, or at least many of them, were rather drunk, and that had a decidedly deletory effect on the humor. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't a very funny show in general. Okay, it was pretty bad. One of the best bits was Sam's confusion of fetishes for feta cheese. Ben and I hung around and tried to get the hammond working, which it sort of did. And then there was a Yale house party. That was really fun, actually, probably more than the others I've been to there. Very laid-back, decent but unintrusive food (chips, mints), music (Blondie, Smiths, Faces, Ozomatli, White Stripes - surprisingly free of Sproul's influence), and drinks (all I had was a piña colada mixed by Daniel - I would have liked to have more, but I didn't have the energy for it), and people. I spent most of the time in one-on-one conversations with various people - Alyssa for a while and interspersed, then Jenny Ku (about profs, classes, academia in general) and Lindsey Brin (freshman spiker, future parrish tripler, possessor of noteworthy hair, and enthusiastic outdoorsperson - we discussed the outdoors, our shared experiences including the Adirondack high peaks and Outward Bound courses, albeit at opposite ends of the country, and also Environmentalism and other forms of activism - I put forward the theory, admittedly something of a cop-out, that environmental activism, insofar as it is primarily concerned with problems for the ways they affect things that are not human, is something of a self-important, presumptious undertaking, assuming as it does that we are capable of changing the earth in a long-range sense. I've just come around over the years to the position that it's probably more important to look out for the interests of people before we turn to aiding the environment. A matter of picking ones battles. Just a thought though.) and also, for brief moments Gabe, Seanius, Sproul, Tiffany. There was some spirited twister featuring at one point seven members of Oscar and Emily, although by the time I got involved there was only enough interest for three player games: me Lindsey Mark, then me Lindsey Alyssa - I won both although Lindsey accused me of playing dirty. Well, yes, aggressively - strategy I gleaned from the danawell twister party last year. Then I hung (out) on the hammock with Alyssa. And we walked to ML, where Claire had some exciting news. And home - I considered following the yellow line on the carless late-night road under the train tracks. I wrote a bit when I was home, but not about all that.

I'll post this now, and write about yesterday (Sunday) afterwards.

how'd you
get your
teeth so
pearly