Friday, October 4
• [if today can be extended into the previous evening, which i think it can since it's evidently being extended into tomorrning: a few pieces of bummy news about breakplans which shave a day off the inbetween ends of two trips - wednesday iceland packages disappeared and rae couldn't get off work tuesday]
• in the theoretically good morning, i found myself locked out of my room. i could have sworn i'd left the door open, with srn flowing into the shower. i found dorothy the cleaning lady to help me out, but not before
• i managed to smash my head in between the wall and the shower door, leaving a still-tender impression on my eyebrow.
• bach class was cancelled, so i went to mccabe to start the dada reading. that's when i realized that we have well over twice as much as usual for this week. something like 700 pages, and many of them large-format, albeit with pictures. but what's up with that?
the good (which weigh-out way the other):
• scrabble. in one of three games, i scored a 526. it was ridiculous. i bingoed thrice, with dEPRAVED and DOORWAyS, though my ester my special opponent helped by agreeing not take the space i needed to play TRIDENTS. i had all the tile luck, although she squeezed out some lovely words too, including a bingo. it's only fair, she's beat me the last three times. and i had just forcibly resigned a game i was winning.
• iceland. rob and i purchased our tickets. three nights, three short but superexciting days. can't hardly wait.
• md55. dukakis is a fantastic speaker. funny, engaging, passionate, looking very good for 70, and i agreed with almost everything he said. sarah and i sat in the front house left section which was dominated by administrators (we were in a two seat radius from gross and eldridge), and it was interesting to hear their side comments (at the end: "i'm glad i voted for him," they all agreed.)
• hannah. was in kcb during (lackluster turnout, i played TONGUER against sarah c.) scrabble, trying to study for her two tests the next morning. but we got to chat and wander for a while too.
• radio. though i don't know what sort of audience i had, at least i was enjoying myself. here's the log:
drums and tuba : the mummy
no. 2 : pop in c
salako : look left
imperial teen : city song
guided by voices : they ‘re not witches
guided by voices : as we go up, we go down
frank black and the catholics : california bound
cornelius : brazil
blanket music : move (p)
blanket music : hips (p)
lispector : nobody cares (p)
sahara hotnights : fall into line (p)
cibo matto : working for vacation
solomon burke : diamond in your mind
solomon burke : the judgment
the twilight singers : king only
skeleton key : kerosene
arto lindsay : pre-feelings
“collective wsrn” id
edith frost : easy to love
the mountain goats : scotch grove
the mountain goats : horseradish road
spoon : small stakes (p)
everything but the girl : the heart remains a child
mad professor v. massive attack : eternal feedback
rufus wainwright : greek song
french kicks : down now (p)
the walkmen : we've been had (p)
freakwater : good for nothing
the jacksons : enjoy yourself (mistake)
fuck : one lb of in
the o'jays : now that we found love
the soft boys : unprotected love
brad mehldau : exit music (for a film)
in a funny moment of parallelism to the day, i left parrish into the 2am grogginess and realized that i didn't have my keys. or my wallet. or my heatmiser cd. or U. i found a kindly public safety officer, who reminded me of prof. weinberg, to let me into lpac, since i figured the keys must have fallen out of my big flabby green pockets during duke's lecture. but no good, so he radioed himself over to k3 to let me in here as well.
the cd was in my room, and i counted up my tiles to find not only U but five more AWOL; probably and hopefully they've invaded suzanne's set. and this morning (duh i'm writing this on friday) i traipsed early to the amphitheatre on that hunch, and sure enough my keys and wallet had spent the night there, a bit dewy but not the worse for it. they ought to teach you this in sex ed: if you're going to make out outside, you should check the area for your belongings afterward.
the way everybody's voice
comes out muffled when they speak
the way we take our diminishing inventories
month to month, week to week
the maria callas records
on the stereo all the time
you're gonna get yours
and i'm gonna get mine